Friday, 16 March 2012

Bistrot Birthday



Oh my GOD. I am still coming out of the food coma induced by my birthday dinner at Bistrot Bruno Loubet last night. Damn. 

It was just so very very good. Right from the off, the staff were attentive and knowledgeable, and seemed passionate about the food they were serving. We each started with a delightful aperitif, mine a Lillet Blanc, Ricky's a Rouge as recommended - super tasty, sweet and fruity served over ice with a slice of lemon (or orange if having the rouge). I'd never had it before but it was refreshing and delicious, a good start.

We each went for specials for starters - duck charcuterie, and padron peppers with ricotta and a basket of warm crusty bread came with it. The charcuterie was heavenly, a rustic wooden board with a sweet spiced chutney, smoked breast, terrine, foie gras, a jelly, and what I think was a coarse pate. Not sure, but it was all flipping amazing anyway and I had to try really hard not to eat Ricky's half. So rich and naughty! The peppers by comparison were fresh and light, and the bitterness of them with the ricotta and tiny weeny toasts was a perfect balance.

It took us a long time to choose our mains, the choice available was just ridiculous. In the end I went with my gut first choice, salmon and scallop quenelles and Ricky went with a beef bourguignon from the specials. There was a lovely bit of theatre when two waiters revealed the dishes at the same time, as both came in black pots, like wee mini le creuset casserole dishes. 

And bloody hell was it good. My quenelles were beautiful; smooth and melt in the mouth, delightfully fishy and served in a langoustine bisque - both elements with such fine depth of flavour and masterfully brought together. I won't deny it was rich, but hey, it was my birthday, so screw it. I am actually salivating thinking about it. I only had a mouthful of Ricky's beef, but it was literally good enough to make his eyes water. The beef fell apart at the touch it was so tender, the mash velvety soft and creamy all brought together by the sticky, dark and rich sauce. Just one mouthful I could feel it sticking gleefully to the ribs! Slow cooked incredibleness....

I wasn't still hungry but of course I had dessert. An apple tart to die for. My comment at the time was that it had to be a crack dusted apple tart it was that good, and I stick by that. I can't remember the flavour of the ice cream on top, but it is some of the best I have ever had. Ricky's lemon and olive oil panna cotta had a strangely medicinal taste, but was lovely and light and creamy. 

I realise I have somewhat waxed lyrical about this place, but considering that we had 3 courses each, plenty of good wine (expertly recommended) and an aperitif each, it was just about £120 inc service for both of us, which I don't think is bad for a special occasion. And, above all, it really was that tasty. If I had one complaint it was that the new potatoes with my main were a bit unimaginative, but the rest of it was so stand out, I don't care. 

Anyway, I got a bit excited about it all and as it had been a while since we went out for a fancy dinner, I thought I would write it up! They do set lunches too, very reasonable. 

Omnomnomnomnom!!! Perfect birthday pressie, thanks Richard!!

This is the website, go see: http://www.bistrobrunoloubet.com/

Photo not mine, BTW. I didn't have my camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment